We see campaigning as another form of firefighting
We aren't afraid to speak out on your behalf, and work with local authorities and other agencies on a number of projects.
These typically focus on 5 themes:
- Improving safety and reduce risk
- Targeting high risk and vulnerable people
- Lobbying for fire safety measures (especially sprinklers) in buildings
- Working with developers and the building industry to optimise safety in new buildings
- Improving access to fire safety information.
Current and past campaigns
Key London Fire Brigade campaigns have include:
- ‘Total Recalls’: campaigning to make white goods safer and improve the national product recall system.
- ‘Know the Plan’: increasing awareness of what to do if there is a fire where people live, especially if it is in a high-rise building.
- Supporting new regulations requiring landlords to install working smoke and carbon monoxide alarms in their properties and distributing free smoke alarms to those most at risk.
- Reducing non-emergency calls to people shut in lifts.
- Reducing calls to incidents that other agencies (like the RSPCA) should be called to attend, such as non- emergency animal rescues.
- Reducing kitchen fires caused by people drinking alcohol and cooking at the same time.
- Reducing the number and impact of fires in waste and recycling facilities.
- Supporting national communications, such as the government’s ‘Fire Kills’ campaign.